Orange Glaze for Ckicken

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More and more, I am seeing the value in "glazing" grilled meats. A glaze adds a layer of flavor, but, perhaps even more important, it gives the meat a very appetizing shine. This, of course, is assuming one does not burn the glaze.

Glazes always have a sugar or sweet component to them. Sugar, burns quickly at high heat, and leaves the meat with a bitter flavor that is by most standards, undesirable. My method, learned after burning more than my share of chicken is simple.

I am assuming that the reader can cook a moist and flavorful piece of chicken. My chick breasts are always moist and juicy, even with the skin removed. I marinade the meat for at least an hour and then cook it slowly with indirect heat.. Then I post-sear it, that is, I put the grill-marks on after the meat is very nearly to temp. I do not bring it to temp because the searing will add several degrees to the meat.

Before I apply a glaze, I sear each side of the meat on the grill once over high, direct heat. Once each side has been seared with marks going in one direction, I apply glaze to the top side and then turn the flame down. I flip the meat in a way that puts marks in a criss-cross pattern. The smaller the piece of meat, the tighter I design the pattern.

I put glaze on the opposite side. I allow the meat to sear on each side for 30-90 seconds, depending on the flame level, checking often by lifting the meat on one edge and checking for the amout of shine I desire. When I am satisfied, the meat is removed and allowed to sit at room temp for at least 5 to 8 minutes. This is a period known as "resting". It allows for the juices tat have been forced to the middle of the meat by the high heat to re-disperse into the whole piece.

This make for an excellent presentation and very juicy chicken.

  Now, for the glaze.

Juice of 2 oranges (Valencia or Naval) If you want to use Clementines, then squeeze 3.
1-2 teaspoons orange zest, to taste
2 teaspoons Penzey's Arizona Dreaming
1 1/2 tablespoons of turbinado sugar, or 2 tablespoons honey.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu