Put Some Sizzle Into Your Spring!

Monday, March 12, 2012

OK, I very rarely promote a product, but these things are pretty neat. Anyone who has been at my house knows that the deck and yard is like BBQ Nirvana. Wood smoker, propane grill, charcoal grill and pellet smoker as well as 4 propane burners. Its all about the BTU’s! Enough space to handle over 200 pounds of meat plus any sides for a large group, though I’ve never prepared more than 80 pounds at one time. But I have done that more than once.Logic? It costs no more in fuel and time to smoke 100 pounds or 1 pound and smoked meat freezes and heats up just great. Plus when we throw a BBQ,  its huge!
I also cook outdoors year-round. Beer-can chicken on a cold winters day just makes you feel good.
What can I say, I’m a BBQ addict!
Anyway, the pellet smoker works great for smoking, but is pretty useless for grilling as it just doesn’t get hot enough. Meat smokes at low temps and pretty much just bakes at high temp on it. But the hardwood flame/smoke adds such great flavor, but lacks that sear that adds so much flavor and texture and is pretty much a law for a great steak.
I usually finish off the steaks, ribs or chops or whatever on the propane for a little texture.
I saw these on Amazon and ordered a set. They heat up to about 500 deg. F on my pellet smoker with flame setting for about 375. (750 when set at around 450 on the propane. (they claim up to 900, but that is just crazy) They just retain heat and spread it out nicely. One benefit is that they save on propane, which is going up by the hour. Also, I can now grill on the smoker for that hardwood flavor. Will give me an edge at the Traeger National competition to be able to char the ribs a bit (shhhhhh…. they’re a secret) as propane is not allowed in the contest, just Traeger pellet grills.
BTW, I get nothing if you buy a set except a smug feeling of satisfaction that your BBQ will be better. If you cook for more than two, you’ll want a third one, at least.
If you got this far, thanks for letting me ramble about something pretty trivial in the overall scheme of things.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pages - Menu